Are you planning a holiday in Tasmania? Get a great deal on your rental car. Did you know that one of the most common mistakes made when hiring a holiday vehicle is not shopping around? With Car Hire Search comparing prices from Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Budget and Europcar is unbelievably easy. Try it for yourself.
Basic Renting Guidelines
OK, so you need to arrange a car for your trip down to Tassie. What do you need to know before you make the booking?
- Most importantly, don’t leave booking to the last minute as rates depend on supply and demand. That means rentals are more expensive the closer you get to holiday season, especially in popular destinations like Tasmania. Don’t way till Christmas or a week before you leave for your travel. Book as soon as you can.
- Are you on a tight budget? To find the cheapest option compare rentals for different dates. You might be surprised that lengthening your rental period can sometimes make your overall rental costs cheaper. Do a bit of experimenting yourself – try different dates, hours or pick-up locations.
- Most suppliers provide basic insurance and you’ll need to pay extra to your reduce your excess amount. If you have travel insurance check with you insurer to see if you’re already covered.
- All vehicle rentals listed on our site include unlimited kms, however there may be other restrictions to where and how you can travel, depending on the company you choose. Most providers will not allow you to take the vehicle on ferries, unsealed roads or otherwise across state borders. Check the terms and conditions to be sure.
- Do you need child seats? Would like to rent a GPS navigational device? Get in touch with your chosen rental car company to arrange additional equipment.
What do you do once you on the holiday island? Where do you start! From Hobart to Devonport there is driving, sightseeing, cosy accommodation, luxury hotels and so much to explore. Here are some suggestions of places you can’t miss while you’re on the road:
- Hobart and surroundings – go the the MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) and if you happen to be in the capital on a Saturday, drop by Salamanca Markets
- explore Launceston and the Tamar Valley – enjoy wine tours or take a river cruise
- take a walk around Cradle Mountain and the national park
- visit the historic site of Port Arthur
- drive to Freycinet Peninsula and take pictures of Wineglass Bay
Hobart Car Hire
Rent a car at several locations throughout Hobart, including Hobart Airport. Budget, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty and Europcar all have depots in Hobart, so you can pick your favourite brand. Read more in our Hobart car hire guide.
Launceston Car Rental
You’ll find all the leading brands have offices in Launceston. Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Budget and Europcar have depots throughout Launceston and at Launceston Airport. Read more in our Launceston car rental guide or find out more about one way rentals from Launceston to Hobart.